Monday, December 12, 2005

monday monday

We have a tree. It blinks. Well, okay, the tree itself doesn't blink, but the little white lights on it do. There was a bit of a scare that we wouldn't be going anywhere, given that the battery was more than a little depleted (apparently the keys CAN come out of the ignition when the jeep is in alt mode -- who knew?!?), but the boys were dears of understanding while we fixed alla that. and they ate heartily and well at the MoJo Cafe (highly recommended for all its fare, not the least of which is fairly traded coffee) while the tree rested on top of the jeep on the way home.

Once inside, I amazed myself by not having gotten a tree that needed a sixteen inches trimmed before it could stand up inside. Apparently, a seven-and-a-half foot tree (the boys and I went right to it, all of us, and declared it perfect, even if it was "the short one") is in fact just the right height for my nine-ish feet high ceilings, especially when the stand is taken into account. As far as decorating, that's about as far as we have gotten, but it's pretty cheery nonetheless.

Cormac came over for a bit of lunch and cards, which was fun, and then I napped until our evening showing of The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe. Frankly, I loved it, and think that it was an amazing production. I can't wait to see it again. I have heard that it is a pared-down presentation, without all the meaningful bits on how one ought to live, and don't agree. I think that ther's a whole host of the message, sometimes more subtle than others, but definitely there. My favourite line: "So much for love."

We definitely will be seeing it again, at the Grandin. Feel free to join along.

Also, this weekend, I read Nick Hornsby's How to be Good and Avi's The Book With No Words. Both come highly recommended, and Hornsby has really gone out on a limb for himself here. The hip guy-writer has devlved into some serious ground about relationships in the early twentieth century, and does so with characteristic wit and relentless honesty. Nicely done.

No comments: