Monday, February 26, 2007

rainy days and mondays

Actually, rainy days are some of my favorites.

This weekend was possibly the best time in my life yet. No kidding. Nope, no particularly stellar event or anything, just a wonderful sense of contentment and peace. David and I did silly things around the farm, and I swear I've never felt so alive and wonderful.
  • We took the boys out to the Crossing Logs with the youth rifle and the pistols. We shot a milk jug and some tin cans and all in all had a great time teaching them to shoot. Tiger is mostly a fan of the rifle, and Dragon likes it too, but he likes the .40 pistol best. It will be a while before he shoots anything other than the rifle of course, but we wanted them to understand why the pistols aren't coming out any time soon. Tiger has a healthy respect for the kick of the .40. I hadn't ever shot a .22 rifle before, and i found out i'm pretty good. Not that it really matters; just getting to shoot is fun: being accurate is bonus.
  • i drove the tractor. i love driving the tractor and it would be on my List of Cool Things even if i just drove it across the field, but this weekend i turned the poo pile so it will be good soil for the garden come Spring. i was working the up-and-down lever and the tilty-bucket lever and going forward-and-back and scooping and moving and dumping and doing it all over again, David nearby talking and smiling and making me giggle both with his encouragement and at myself. By the time the pile was moved from Point A to Point B (some three yards or so away from Point A), i had declared myself the Princess of Poo. Well. It made me happy, anyway.
  • We played Junior Trivial Pursuit. Think that sounds easy? It's not. I won by the hair on my chin, and we laughed mercilessly.
  • Through a strange turn of events, we ended up at Uncle Charlie's farm drinking tea and talking with Uncle Charlie and Aunt Barbara. Man. Let me tell you they are cool folks. And to watch them with each other is a real treat. They have been together for 40 years, and are still quite a couple. They have this non-verbal communication that only they and dogs can hear, and it's cool to watch. They invivted me back, and somehow i feel like i have gotten a little gold star of approval, and i'm as happy as a little kid. David tells me that they play chess; i can't wait to watch a game.
  • We brushed the horses after we fed them. It doesn't sound like a big deal, but it is.
  • We napped in the barn on a few bales of hay. It was C O Z Y.
  • We watched Pale Rider. I am quite a fan of Michael Moriarty's speech in the middle of the movie and will be looking for a clip of it.
  • We also watched O Brother, Where Art Thou?, another great movie i had never seen. We have concluded that the purchase of the soundtrack is not optional. Quoting the movie at random and strange points through the weekend was fun too. ["of course it's Pete. Look at him!]
  • We went to Ruby Tuesday's as a family on Sunday night. It wasn't a big deal, but it was warm and calm and comfortable and very together. These are the things worth living for.

No comments: