Thursday, September 28, 2006

weakly update

I’ve been busy enough in my real life that I haven’t done much in the online one. Honest, back in the day (you know, like, up until July) I used to do all sort of stuff. I read a book a day, watched a new show or movie, updated the blog, played online games, wrote long emails to friends; it seemed my free time was not only endless, but at times a bit too much to figure.

Now, I have a job, a wonderful boyfriend, and I hardly ever log in. When I do, it’s most often simply to play music while cooking or cleaning or playing with the boys (Tuesday night at dinner I had Enya playing. David looked at me askance and said confusedly “I didn’t know you had pretty music.”) In the last two nights I’ve slept more than I usually do in a whole week, and more contentedly than I have in years.

Saturday I went to the pistol competition with David and Morris. There were tons of people there, and I had a ball. They have stages set up with objectives, and my favorite was the house (with thugs and hostages and doorways, o my). I wasn’t shooting (duh) but really enjoyed watching how people chose to solve the problem set up. I also managed to find a pistol that fits Perfectly in my hand, and so far it tops the list of what I want to buy. It will be at least six months before I can afford one, so I have plenty of time to shop around. Until then, I’ll keep shooting the .22. I’m hoping maybe I can convince Rob to come up this spring and go out shooting with me. Perhaps by then I’ll be a decent shot.

On the way home after the shoot, we stopped to pick up Charlotte. Her starter finally gave up the ghost, and after David did The Man Thing to get her running, we dropped her directly at Wayne’s. She’s ready, but I’m broke, so picking her up will have to wait until Monday. Fortunately, she loves hanging out trading tales with Bev’s H2.

I drink too much, so I have given away the rest of the wine (no, i haven't quit smoking yet -- one thing at a time, here). It’s not as big a deal not to kick back with a glass as I thought it would be. Gabriel and I have been watching Lost with hot tea instead, and occasionally some chips and homemade salsa. On Tuesday night I was doing just that when I got to speak to Jules for the first time in months. She’s disappointed that she won’t be able to join us for paintball on Saturday, but Allen will, and I’m looking forward to it. She and I talked for over an hour, updating each other.

I told her the story about the keychain the Beretta rep slipped into my hand at the pistol competition. As a sentence, it took nearly fifteen minutes to ferret that one out (Wait: You were at a shoot? You’re dating a competition shooter? I thought you said he is a biologist. And: You were talking to a gun rep? I thought she might faint) before I got to the point. As the rep passed the keychain to me, he said “I gave you two because I know that if I only gave you one, your husband would come over and kick my ass.” I smiled and looked him in the eye and said “Yes. He would.” That has been giggle fodder for days. (And yes, it was totally sincere, not just a funny line. And weirdly enough, I really like that.) Even though we aren’t going to be able to get together this weekend, we have it on the books to find a Saturday afternoon-evening real soon to have a double date.

I really like my job and things seem to be progressing nicely. I’m still waiting on final word of being permanent, but I'm willing to be patient for this one. Yesterday kn0w1 and I went and gave our final depositions downtown. The only thing that remains is for it to go in front of the judge, which should happen this morning. It was long enough in the making, but I feel good about having this relegated out of circuit court and put into the realm of J&D where it belongs. On the way out, I discovered a new little place, ostensibly a flower shop, but with all sorts of plants and candles and décor items. It’s perfectly charming, filled with tons of things that no one would ever need (monogrammed soap, even!). kn0w1 was sweet enough to indulge me and let me browse to my heart’s content.

And yes, my heart is completely content these days.

No comments: